torsdag 2 juli 2009

Lip-synching to the sa-sa-sampler

One thing that surprised me when I started to watch old 80s disco videos on YouTube was that the singers during the playback performances on TV shows often lip-synched to sampled voices or their own voice "megamixed". Like in this TV appearance of Fun Fun "Happy Station" (watch the part at 2:20)



It looks ridiculous but somehow it goes pretty well along with the cheap italo disco aesthetic. So I was more surprised when I saw the same thing happening in this 1984 playback perfomance of Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls" (the original version produced by Bobby O). I mean Neil Tennant is a British intellectual. (Watch the part at 3:36 onwards.) But then it seems to have been their first TV performance.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar