måndag 19 oktober 2009

Jocks

"Jocks" is an italo disco movie from 1984, it seems to be a bit like Flashdance or Saturday Night Fever but from Italy. Legendary italo disco vocalist Tom Hooker (who sometimes provided the vocals for Den Harrow as well as releasing some stuff under his own name) is mentioned in the opening credits, he seems to be playing one of the main characters. You can watch the first four minutes on YouTube and I'd actually pay a lot to be able to see the whole film!



Speaking of Tom Hooker, there's an interview with him here and it's actually the most interesting interview with an italo disco artist that I've read, because he's very honest, saying things like:

"It was a lot of fun, I made money, I had cars and girls. I knew all the famous people in Italy at the time. I am so much happier now, though. I am married and incognito in California. I finally understand the value of "true" things in life. I really love my wife today. Then, like many people who don't even admit it, I was in love with myself. Like many famous people, I had a huge ego."

4 kommentarer:

  1. PLEASE find out who's song that is in that video. so good.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I have watched it now, without subtitles (some hero should make a version with English subtitles!) so I don't understand everything but the story seems to go like this: a DJ called "DJ" (!) teams up with another DJ (who I think is played by Tom Hooker) to start a disco, and they talk a rich guy into financing it. The rich guy is arrested for some ... Visa merreason and they don't know what to do. They manage to talk some other rich pair into financing it though, so finally it happens. At some point they quarrel about a girl too. The last 20 minutes of the film is a weird, luxurous-looking dance disco show with Fame-style dancers, robots, a weird alien-like character, elevators and stuff. (Actually that part of the film would be great to use as visuals during on some disco club today, or to cut and use for some music video.)

    Apart from the ending show, what I enjoyed the most was to watch the clothes, record shops, recording studios etc of the era, and of course the soundtrack, which is great - music by some well-known italo disco artists like Tom Hooker, Kano, and Orlando Johnson, but also some new names to me, like this great track by The Creatures (the record sleeve here is actually based on the sci-fi disco show from the film). Ryan: I don't know which one the opening track is though!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rilZlCTMwj0

    SvaraRadera
  3. Oh yes now I identified the track, it's The Creatures - Starting from Here. Available on iTunes!

    SvaraRadera
  4. I am a huge Creatures fan, they made some of the most forward thinking futuristic music at the time and it still stands the test of time nearly thirty years later!
    This is a film I have wanted to see for such a long time too! Have you got any closer to tracking it down?!??
    Someone has put a Japanese/Chinese? Rip of some more Jocks film footage, I asked in the comments if s/he would put the whole film up!
    Maybe if enough of us leave comments they might consider it!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Moomin1103gll#p/a/u/0/YbhTORjPKF8

    SvaraRadera